มือถือฟรี：Advantages and Disadvantages
There are plusses and minuses of working anywhere, and this is approximately how Thailand compares, at least according to my values:
- Very nice, peaceful and civil mainstream Thai culture
- Low crime, safe place (relative to others)
- Interesting expat community from all over the world
- Expats tend to be Directors and other high level people, and explorers
- Abundant and affordable skilled labor
- Inexpensive office space and overhead
- Not too strict
- Internet is OK, reliable, unrestricted
- Stores have practically everything
- Relatively free economy for small & medium businesses
- Good infrastructure
- Public transport goes everywhere
- Centrally located for Asia
- Low cost of living (with servants)
- Lots of things to export
- Lovely ladies
- Foreigner property ownership restrictions (except condos)
- Foreigner company ownership restrictions (exceptions exist)
- Evil and protection - money-wielding foreign gangs are the worst!
- Corruption on big projects (a much lesser evil)
- Pollution -- choking air pollution on Bangkok roads, mostly due to nonenforcement against a small % of vagrantly violating vehicles !!
- Language barrier -- English is poor -- must learn some Thai
- Sanitation sometimes poor (avoidable)
- Public transport full at rush hour (avoidable)
- Weather too hot for some people
- Culture too alien for some people
- Sometimes unsatisfactory quality of service (like anywhere in the world)
- Traffic in Bangkok (not too bad now, was worse before)
- Copycat lack of creativity, originality, and double-checking the foreigners or the Thais of higher status / rank
You may rank the above in a different order than me.
For example, when I first came to Thailand, I put the last disadvantage ("Copycat lack of creativity...") as second on my list, but after 12 years here I've been able to deal with that by staff attrition (lots of attrition over the years!) and retaining the best staff. (It's actually a problem everywhere in the world, but in Asia it's much worse than in my native North America and my experience with other westerners in Thailand.)
As for the daytime heat, "If you can't take the heat, then get out of the tropics!" I don't mind the heat, but some people from far northern climates suffer. Buy thin shirts and pants (not thick jeans), instead of bringing stuff from home.
Importantly, avoid sunburn when vacationing. See the Health section for info on that and other issues. Health concerns are usually not a significant issue in the overall analysis, as you can see in the Health section
You are currently on this page:
Additional, children pages of this current parent page:
Economical Thai labor
Protection of Evil
Terrorism in Thailand
Copyright 1999-2010 by Mark Evan Prado, All Rights Reserved.
Notably, I get quickly notified of copies of tracts by the CopyScape / CopySentry automatic search engine & notifier.
Short quotes are often OK and can be approved, if there is a clear reference and web link back to my website from the quoted material, and if you send me a short message. I try to help people with good intentions, and try to help the world. Not thieves. Links back to this website are helpful for sustainable progress, thank you!
Please have honor and class by following intellectual property and internet protocols. Be a good kind of person in life.
Want to privately ask the Thailand Guru? Contact us.
Suggest information to add to the website? Submit info to us, thanks!
Click here to add this particular Thailand Guru page to your Favorites!
Join our mailing list for website updates. มือถือฟรี
Menu: Site Map