มือถือฟรี：Minimizing Costs, Living Cheaply
ThailandGuru receives a lot of inquiries by people who wish to live cheaply.
During the first few years of my stay here, I lived luxuriously, when good consulting work was abundant. All that changed around the 1997 crash, and when I hit rock bottom around the year 2000 (when savings had dwindled to the dangerous level) I learned to live almost as cheaply as any expat ever has here. I've rebounded since then, but my experiences for about a year certainly qualify me to preach what I've practiced.
How much do you need to live? Add it up yourself:
Rent: ________ Such a wide range here in peoples' preferences, from a one-room room in a Thai apartment block for 3500 baht to 250,000 baht for a large house with a big yard in a nice neighborhood, but most expats I know take a highrise condo in the 50,000 to 80,000 baht range
Electricity: (costs can be much less if you stay there only at night)
- 6,000 baht, maybe more, for a house with continuous air conditioning, someone home all the time, much more for a large house
- 3,500 baht for a large apartment or condo with continuous air conditioning, someone home all the time
- 200 baht for no air-con, no refrigerator, just fluorescent lights and fans
If you live in a house, make sure there is insulation in the ceiling.
- 100 to 800 baht, depending upon family size, usage, yard watering, etc.
- 1500 to 3000 baht = 50 to 100 baht/day for "street food" dining out every day, 3 meals per day
- 10,000 baht for cooking Western groceries every day, never eating out (need kitchen/ette)
- 30,000 baht or more for eating out at Western style restaurants every day in the expat areas. Add more for alcohol.
You are currently on this page:
Additional, children pages of this current parent page:
Minimizing Costs :
Copyright 1999-2010 by Mark Evan Prado, All Rights Reserved.
Notably, I get quickly notified of copies of tracts by the CopyScape / CopySentry automatic search engine & notifier.
Short quotes are often OK and can be approved, if there is a clear reference and web link back to my website from the quoted material, and if you send me a short message. I try to help people with good intentions, and try to help the world. Not thieves. Links back to this website are helpful for sustainable progress, thank you!
Please have honor and class by following intellectual property and internet protocols. Be a good kind of person in life.
Want to privately ask the Thailand Guru? Contact us.
Suggest information to add to the website? Submit info to us, thanks!
Click here to add this particular Thailand Guru page to your Favorites!
Join our mailing list for website updates. มือถือฟรี
Menu: Site Map